Norwichtown Historic District
Norwich Green Historic District
Year of Establishment:
Notes on Establishment:
LHD, NRHD, SR
Norwich Historic District Commission
Nature of Authority:
Town Green/ Urban Neighborhood
Eligible for Historic Home tax credits:
Click here to browse towns
Click here for district map
View of the district.
Alphabetic List of Historic Districts and Properties
Search for an address in a Local Historic District
The Norwichtown Historic District, established in the City of Norwich in 1967, is made up of the original Green and has irregular boundaries on the radiating streets. The Green is a triangular area surrounded by closely spaced structures, most of which were built in the 18th century. Two of the outstanding buildings here are Joseph Carpenter's Silversmith's Shop and Dr. Daniel Lathrop's School, standing together on the north side of the Green. The "Town Plot" was laid out along the Yantic River. Home lots were several acres and included pasture land. Near the center of the Plot was an open space for public buildings; this area was soon known as Meetinghouse Plain or the Green. Somewhat later, in 1729, the Town Proprietors voted that Meetinghouse Plain "shall be and remain to be...for public Use for the whole Town forever henceforth without alteration." The church had its place here and has alternately stood on the Green and on the cliff behind (Meetinghouse Rocks). Accompanying the church on the Green were the courthouse, shops, residences, and more than one tavern. The Norwichtown Historic District has kept, through much effort and work of its residents, a great deal of its important early atmosphere. [NR]
Significance of the district:
Architecture, Urban Planning: The first settlement in Norwich was in 1660 and was located in the area known as Norwichtown. Although three hundred years have passed, the pattern and features of that settlement are still apparent in the great number of early structures remaining. Some have been altered, reflecting their varied uses. The Norwichtown Historic District includes that area of first settlement, which is the Green and surrounding streets. Norwich was founded by a group of about 35 men from Saybrook who petitioned the General Court at Hartford in May, 1659, for permission to make settlement here. Nine square mile were deeded to them by the Mohegan Encas and his sons, Owaneco and Attawanhood in June, 1659. By 1836 when John Barber wrote his "Collections," the town was a place of about two hundred houses on pleasant rural streets within a short distance of the Congregational Church. The area outlined by the Norwichtown Historic District includes the Green and these streets, still much the same as they were in Barber's day. [NR]
The district includes properties in two parcels- Parcel- I and II, as bounded such as and described in Ordinance No. 439, Section 7, entitled ' An Ordinance establishing an Historic District and an Historic District Commission for the City of Norwich.'
The district includes buildings (90 residences, 3 schools- one in use, 4 offices, 1 home for the elderly ladies, 1 museum), Town Green, Meadows and open spaces
Residential, Museum, Religious, Others (Home for elderly, offices)
Victorian, Georgian, Others
17th Century, 18th Century, 19th Century, 20th Century
 District information retrieved from the town website http://www.norwichct.org/.  Norwichtown Historic District, Report of the Historic District Study Committee, 1967, SHPO Library, Hartford.  Assessors information and Parcel IDs retrieved from http://host.appgeo.com/sccog/Map.aspx and the study committee report . [NR] Bixby Susan B., Norwichtown Historic District, National Register Nomination Number- 73001951 NRIS, National Park Service, 1973 - http://pdfhost.focus.nps.gov/docs/NRHP/Text/73001951.pdf; http://pdfhost.focus.nps.gov/docs/NRHP/Photos/73001951.pdf.
Map of the local historic district retrieved from the report of the Historic District Study Committee, 1967, SHPO library, Hartford.
The street addresses and the parcels IDs of the designated properties have been obtained by comparison of the historic district map attached with the Historic District Study Committee report, 1967, and the online GIS map retrieved from the website- http://host.appgeo.com/sccog/Map.aspx. For the complete list of properties and further information on the district, the user is urged to contact the respective Historic District Commission.
Date of compilation:
Manjusha Patnaik, CT Trust for Historic Preservation__________________________________________________